Google Search

Google
 

KL Weather

Talk: Cyanide Gold Mining at Bukit Koman, Raub Pahang

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Vanilla in Malaysia

Vanilla plant's healthy, flowering and produce beans in my father plantation. Besides the vanilla bean are new flower grow up. This Photo taken 17 September 2006 by me.

Malaysia also has a vanilla industry but production is small. The Vanilla orchid species that flavour our ice-creams, soft drinks and other dishes, originated in Mexico, but have been successfully transplanted to places such as Madagascar and Uganda, and is an important cash crop there. The global vanilla industry has been hot news in recent years thanks to some unusual weather conditions in 2003 and 2004 that destroyed many vanilla farms, raising prices from around US$40 or RM140 a kilo to US$600 or MR2130 per kilo by 2005.

Hoping to glean a fast fortune, many countries such as India and Indonesia rushed to found vanilla farms, only to find that good weather and subsequent overproduction have driven the price down to as low as US$20 – US$30 (RM70 – RM105).

Current reports state that world production is some 1700 tonnes a year, and that Madagascar, the world’s top vanilla producer, will put at least 1800 tonnes on the market all by itself. All signs that floriculture may be a sounder, safer option than the vanilla market.

(Source: The Star -

1 comment:

vanillaborneo said...

I visited a Vanilla plantation owns by government while I was in Vanuatu for jatropha business recently. I am impress by the Vanilla of Madagascar breed and in the process to bring in 1 meter length cuttings for planting. Should anyone has the interest to join me, my contact is +6012 8834466 or tuntanny@gmail.com and I am from Kuching, Sarawak. Call me if you need sample of cured Vanilla pods as I am having 2 kilos with me.

Talk: Cyanide Gold Mining at Bukit Koman, Raub Pahang 02.

Talk: Cyanide Gold Mining at Bukit Koman, Raub Pahang 03

Bukit Koman, Raub residents fear for safety - Cyanide